INSPIRING HEALTHY LIVES
At Natividad, our dedication to the people of Monterey County is at the heart of everything we do—from the health care services we provide to the specialized programs we promote. This commitment to our community spans more than 130 years and, more importantly, has touched countless lives. It has also earned us a Joint Commission ranking in the top percentile of hospitals nationwide. If you believe in inspiring healthy lives by focusing on community-based care, consider joining Natividad today.
TRAUMA PROGRAM PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT RN (Hospital Quality Assurance RN)
Natividad Medical Center is currently seeking a temporary Trauma Program Performance Improvement Nurse. The incumbent will review and evaluate Trauma patients' medical records, conduct incident investigations and analyze/validate clinical data. This position will also be expected to perform Core Measure abstractions and data analysis and work collaboratively with the Natividad medical staff, hospital departments and clinics as part of an effective quality assurance program.
Examples of Duties:
• Develops and assists with the implementation of policies and procedures for the quality assurance and performance improvement function of Natividad's Trauma Program, to assure improved compliance with The Joint Commission and other accrediting agencies and regulatory bodies
• Reviews and evaluates patients' medical records, applying quality assurance criteria
• Screens patient care cases and makes recommendations for physician peer review
• Conducts incident investigations, including root cause, "near miss" and sentinel event analysis
• Collaborates with medical staff and/or mental health professionals, and others to review and interpret patient records and documentation; writes narrative and statistical reports; and prepares correspondence using word processing software
• Reviews state regulations, reviews policies and procedures, and makes recommendations to management on methods to conform to regulations; educates staff on regulation changes, and conducts training sessions for clinical and support staff on changes to practices and procedures
• Analyzes and validates data taken from documented patient interviews; identifies common recurrent patient problems, symptoms and behavioral changes in relation to standards of care and patient needs; and makes recommendations for administrative change
• Performs Core Measure abstraction and data analysis and prepares reports for The Joint Commission and others
• Applies knowledge of a variety of conceptual models and previous clinical experience to patient care issues in order to consider alternatives that explain or predict present or potential patient problems; recommends strategies to improve performance
• Works closely with other health care providers and ancillary services to facilitate patient care
• Develops and maintains good relations with staff, hospital and private physicians
• Identifies educational needs of nursing staff related to specialty area; develops educational materials about the specialty area for staff
• Utilizes the results of audit/quality improvement and/or research activities to improve patient care and as learning experiences for staff
• Reviews quality assurance standards, studies existing hospital policies and procedures, and interviews hospital personnel and patients to evaluate effectiveness of quality assurance program
• Selects specific topics for review, such as problem procedures, drugs, high volume cases, high-risk cases, or other factors
• Participates in Nursing and Physician staff meetings for information gathering and consultation
Licenses/Certificates: Possession of valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of California.
Experience: Five years of nursing experience as a Registered Nurse, with at least 3 of which have been in ER/ICU and/or Trauma patient care and have performance improvement experience in a clinical setting – AND – completion of all coursework leading to a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing; Master's Degree preferred. A CPHQ (Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality) from the National Association for Healthcare Quality is desirable.
Thorough Knowledge of: Current theory, principles, techniques and procedures used in professional nursing, including those applicable to an acute care hospital and practices of medical quality assurance; principles, techniques and practices of data analysis and modeling; safety policies and practices, specifically as applied to acute-care hospitals; change management and conflict resolution; the uses and effects of medicines and narcotics; medical terminology, medical instruments and equipment; all Federal, State and local laws and regulations which govern the practice of nursing and the operations of an acute-care hospital, such as The Joint Commission requirements, Title 22 regulations and other applicable administrative policies, bylaws, and regulations; and techniques of effective report writing and office correspondence, including English grammar and usage.
For application materials, contact Natividad, HR, 1441 Constitution Blvd, Bldg. 300, Salinas, CA 93906; call us at (831) 783-2700; or apply online at www.natividad.com. Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NatividadInspiringHealthyLives/ EOE/M/F/H/V
Job Type: Temporary / Contract
Job Status: Full Time