INSPIRING HEALTHY LIVES
At Natividad, our dedication to the people of Monterey County is at the heart of everything we do—from the health care services we provide to the specialized programs we promote. This commitment to our community spans more than 130 years and, more importantly, has touched countless lives. It has also earned us a Joint Commission ranking in the top percentile of hospitals nationwide. If you believe in inspiring healthy lives by focusing on community-based care, consider joining Natividad today.
HOSPITAL PATIENT SAFETY MANAGER
Natividad is currently seeking a permanent, full-time Hospital Patient Safety Manager in the Quality Assurance Department. Under administrative direction, the incumbent will plan, organize, direct and coordinate various functions, operations and activities pertaining to patient safety risk assessment at Natividad.
Examples of Duties:
• Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates patient safety risk assessment activities to ensure compliance with Joint Commission Standards, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Conditions of Participation (CoPs), Title 22, California Health and Safety Code, Leapfrog and all other applicable laws, standards and regulations for an acute care healthcare facility.
• Acts as a liaison between County Risk Management, legal counsel, insurance carrier and hospital executives in matters pertaining to claims management; receives, reviews and takes appropriate action on information regarding potential and actual compensatory events within specified time frames; records, collects, documents and maintains data; provides County Risk Management, insurance carriers and/or legal counsel with all requested information and documents related to potential or pending litigation; works with County Risk Management, insurance carriers and/or legal counsel to coordinate investigations, process/defend claims against the hospital, and assist in the evaluation of claims.
• Researches liability exposures and recommends actions to minimize financial loss; collects, evaluates and distributes data regarding incidents, claims, profiles, losses and other risk management reports; directs and coordinates the release of records in response to subpoenas, court orders, attorney requests and other inquiries from outside sources.
• Manages the Patient Safety and Risk Management Plan for the facility; develops risk management and patient safety initiatives and activities to ensure a safe environment for patients, visitors, providers, staff and volunteers; performs proactive risk assessment to identify potential vulnerabilities in complex, high-risk processes and facilitates root cause analysis (RCA's) for sentinel, unexpected, adverse, near miss and "never" events and preventable health-care acquired conditions; proactively identifies unsafe and/or hazardous conditions; recommends, monitors and reports continuous improvement effectiveness as needed as required by regulatory bodies.
• Actively coordinates participation and reporting of collaborative efforts to implement BETA healthcare specific safety initiatives as both preventative and corrective measures.
• In coordination with County Risk Manager and legal counsel, serves as a resource to address medical/legal inquiries of/from physicians, nurses, administrators and others regarding emergent patient care issues and loss control.
• Develops and implements educational programs for staff related to patient safety risk issues, including timely identification and communication of potential and actual risk threats.
• Stays abreast of legislation, trends and issues pertaining to assigned areas; reviews court decisions, proposed legislation, and new program/policy; confers with County Risk Manager and legal Counsel regarding impacts of legislation and court decisions; recommends and implements hospital strategies.
• Responds to concerns and/or complaints from patients, the public, medical staff, and/or other hospital managers pertaining to assigned areas in order to maintain positive customer relations; researches and investigates issues; prepares written or oral responses as needed.
Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible professional or analytical experience in a healthcare institution that included responsibility for administering and monitoring risk management program activities, including at least one year in an acute care hospital setting. Experience should clearly demonstrate skill in administering healthcare risk program functions and activities.
Education: Completion of coursework from an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, business administration, public administration, finance, health science or a closely related field.
The successful candidate will have thorough knowledge of:
• Local, State and Federal laws, rules, regulations and ordinances pertaining to acute care hospital operations and risk management.
• The Joint Commission requirements and standards for acute care hospitals.
• Methods of quality and performance improvement in a health care administrative setting.
• Principles, practices and techniques of risk management, including program planning, root cause analysis, claims administration, liability/loss prevention and program implementation, administration and evaluation.
• Effective research techniques utilized in the analysis of risk related to patient safety.
• Best practices in developing and administering patient safety risk programs.
• The principles and practices of accident prevention.
• Insurance company policies and procedures regarding claims, indemnification provisions, insurance pooling, reserves and actuarial studies.
• Principles, practices and techniques of policy development.
• Report writing and basic statistics.
• Principles and practices of business administration, including planning and organizing work, fiscal management, administrative problem solving, strategic planning and goal setting, and the implementation of effective solutions.
For application materials, contact Natividad, HR, 1441 Constitution Blvd, Bldg. 300, Salinas, CA 93906; call us at (831) 783-2700; or apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/montereycounty/jobs/3854731/hospital-patient-safety-manager?page=3&pagetype=transferJobs or visit http://www.natividad.com.
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NatividadInspiringHealthyLives/ EOE/M/F/H/V
Job Type: Employee
Job Status: Full Time