- CAHQ Healthcare Quality Award
- Contact Us
Reasons to Join CAHQ !
CAHQ has been actively involved in promoting certification for healthcare quality professionals since 1987. We believe that the study, examination, and ongoing certification process significantly strengthens the expertise and influence of the quality professional within the healthcare organization and positively impacts our ultimate goal of improved quality of patient care.
The success of CAHQ is dependent upon the active participation and volunteerism of its membership. The focus is to satisfy the needs and interests of existing members and attract new members through continued attention to the changing healthcare horizon.
Communicate with others in your field through message boards and private messages. Share knowledge and collaborate with peers in improving healthcare design and delivery.
CAHQ, in partnership with HQI and the National Patient Safety Foundation is proud to offer this review course to experienced patient safety professionals who plan to take the Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) examination. This course can help participants prepare for the exam by reviewing domain content areas and test-taking strategies.
Individuals from across the health care spectrum may sit for the CPPS exam providing they possess a baseline combination of education, experience and a commitment to improving the practice of patient care. Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements to sit for the exam. Those who receive a passing score on the exam earn the CPPS certification.
Participation in this course will provide attendees with the opportunity to:
The CPPS credential distinguishes health care professionals who meet the competency requirements in the areas of patient safety science and human factors engineering, and who demonstrate the ability to apply this knowledge to effectively plan and implement patient safety initiatives. More than 1,300 health professionals have become certified since the CPPS credential was introduced in 2012. This course is appropriate for experienced patient safety professionals who plan to take the Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) examination.
This professional certification program establishes core standards for the field of patient safety, benchmarks requirements necessary for health care professionals, and sets an expected proficiency level, gives those working in patient safety a means to demonstrate their proficiency and skill in the discipline, and provides a way for employers to validate a potential candidate’s patient safety knowledge and skill base, critical competencies for today’s health care environment. The Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) credential is maintained on a three-year cycle.
Karen Frush, MD, FAAP, CPPS
Dot Snow, MPH, CPPS
CAHQ Members $245
Register for the Workshop and Join CAHQ $260 (includes 12mos of premium membership in CAHQ)
HQI Member (subject to availability)* Registration for this training event is also open to CalHEN 2.0 facilities. For more information please contact Shweta Krishnan, CalHEN 2.0 program coordinator, at SKrishnan@hqinstitute.org.
Handouts for this course will be sent to registered course attendees a few days prior to the course date. Handouts will not be given onsite for live courses; therefore, attendees are responsible for either printing or downloading them prior to the course. Attendees are encouraged to bring their computer to the live courses.
Campus Map (HOAG Newport Beach)
All cancellation requests must be submitted via email to CAHQ at CAHQmanager@cahq.org . Requests received 72 hours (3 business days) in advance of the scheduled start time will receive a full refund. Refund requests submitted less than 72 hours (3 business days) in advance of the scheduled start time will be ineligible for a refund.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP03370 for 7.0 contact hours.
(Monday) 8:00 am - 4:00 pm PST
Hoag Hospital Newport Beach
1 Hoag Drive, Newport beach, CA 92663
2016 Workshop Dates: Oct
2016 Workshop Dates:
Oct 20 – 21
Offered by JB Quality Solutions, Inc. and CAHQ
CAHQ Member: $545
Register for Workshop & Join CAHQ: $645
NOTE: All registration levels include a copy of the required course materials, The Janet A. Brown Healthcare Quality Handbook (29th Edition 2016) to be picked up on site. Early shipping is also available.
Susan Mellott, Ph.D., RN, CPHQ, FNAHQ
Susan Mellott is well known in the field of healthcare quality as a consultant and educator. Dr. Mellott has authored numerous publications and is a nationally-recognized speaker. Susan is a Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) and is also a Fellow of the National Association for Healthcare Quality. She currently serves on the Advisory Panel of the Healthcare
Associated Infections (HAI) and Preventable Adverse Events (PAE) under the Texas Department of State Health Services. She is also a DNV Accreditation surveyor. Dr. Mellott has extensive experience with the survey process, especially with The Joint Commission standards and surveys. Dr. Mellott has focused on healthcare quality in multiple settings, including hospitals, long term care centers, home health settings, clinics, and networks. She has experience in decreasing costs, improving patient / customer satisfaction and quality, while involving teams from the facility, including physicians and administrative staff. Dr. Mellott also addresses groups around the country regarding performance and quality improvement in healthcare.
This two-day intensive didactic Workshop…
Provides current, principle-based information for healthcare quality professionals seeking an integrated overview of the field, preparing for the Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) Examination, or desiring continuing education.
Covers up-to-date field information and key CPHQ Exam Content Outline topic areas in a focused walk through The Healthcare Quality Handbook, the required text, including discussion of many Study Questions.
Who Should Attend?
Professionals responsible for quality management and/or organizational improvement across the healthcare delivery continuum, as well as physicians, patient safety and compliance officers, utilization/care/case management professionals, risk management professionals, medical staff management professionals, health information management professionals, and all healthcare professionals with a passion for quality.
- Identify the core elements of current healthcare quality knowledge necessary to become an expert for your organization.
- Fit the core elements into a cohesive whole within the umbrella of healthcare quality.
- Apply healthcare quality principles and processes to your experience and work setting.
- Relate the core elements and their applications to appropriate areas of the CPHQ Certification Exam Content Outline.
- Identify which core elements and content areas require additional study prior to taking the Exam.
This program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP03370, for 16.8 contact hours and by the National Association for Healthcare Quality for CPHQs for 14 contact hours. Certificates of Attendance may be submitted for continuing education for all associations accepting healthcare quality content.
Secure parking is available at the University of Phoenix (Pasadena) for $12/day.
Healthcare Quality Overview
- CPHQ Certification Exam Information
- Quality Concepts, Movements, and Terminology
- Structure, Process, Process Variation, and Outcome
- Systems Thinking, the Customer, and the Healthcare Organization Healthcare Delivery Systems
- Insurance, Managed Care, and Reimbursement
Quality Functions Management
- The Quality Strategy: Planning, Building Effective Structure & Process, Implementation
- Utilization/Resource Management: Components, Effectiveness
- Care Coordination, Case and Population Management, and Patient/Member Advocacy
- Risk Management: liability, Loss Prevention & Reduction, Early Warning Systems
- Patent Safety Management: Culture, Medical Error, Goals, Program, Technology
- Financial Management: Budgeting, Cost Analysis, the Financial Side of Quality
Performance Improvement Processes
- Design, Measurement, Analysis, and Improvement Processes
- Organizationwide Pl Approaches/Models
- Performance Measurement: Measure Selection, Systems, Out-comes, Reporting
- Clinical PI, Organizationwide Processes, Infection Prevention and Control
- Patient Safety Analysis and Risk Reduction: RCA, FMEA, RRTs
- Benchmarking and Best Practice
- Practitioner Credentialing, Privileging, Profiling, and Peer Review
- Patient/Member Advocacy and Feedback Processes
- Communication, Reporting, and Evaluation of the PI Function and Performance
- Leadership Concepts and Commitment to Quality
- The Organization: Infrastructure, Ethics, Functions
- Strategic and Quality Planning, Strategic Initiatives, the Strategy-Focused Organization
- IM Concepts, Resources, Legal Aspects, and Documentation Management
- Epidemiological Theory/Methods and SPC Components
- Sampling and Data Collection
- Basic Statistics, Display, Analysis, Interpretation, and Reporting
- QI Process Tools
- Computerized Data Systems
- Empowerment, Decision Making, Problem Solving, and Change Management
- Team Coordination and Organization Communication
- QM/Pl Orientation, Training, Education, and Performance
Accreditation, Licensure, Certification, & Awards
- Concepts and Comparisons
- Survey Readiness
- Survey Process Training and Coordination
- TJC, NCQA, JCI, ISO 9000, Baldrige, EFQM, Magnet
Schedule: Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. Course presentation both days 8:00 a.m- 5:00 p.m Continental breakfast, lunch, and break refreshments included. Please bring a sweater or jacket.
Disclaimer and Note: Attending the Workshop does not guarantee that you will pass the CPHQ Examination. The only Exam information available to the author/presenter is the same Content Outline provided in the CPHQ Candidate Handbook
Organizations registering three or more participants for the same Workshop may be eligible for a discount. Please contact the CAHQ Manager, 800-230-3163 or CAHQmanager@cahq.org.
ADA Needs: Please contact CAHQ concerning any special arrangements needed in the Lecture Hall.
Cancellations/Refunds/Transfers: Cancellations will be accepted if received or postmarked at least 14 days prior to the event date and are subject to a $75 processing fee to cover costsIn lieu of a refund, with payment of an additional $75 processing fee, you may transfer to another scheduled workshop during the current year, space permitting.
Recording and Laptops: Individual recording of the Workshop is not permitted. The complete Workshop in Audio CD or MP3 is available at a discount to participants.
CPHQ Examination: For information, visit the National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) here or call 800.966.9392.
CAHQ reserves the right to substitute faculty or rearrange the program due to unforeseen circumstances.
20 (Thursday) - 21 (Friday)
University of Phoenix (Pasadena Learning Center)
299 N Euclid Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101